The MEMPHIS Project plan is structured into four work packages following the project’s logical concept.
WP 1: Development of a generic methodology for assessing waste heat potentials
- Collect required data from public sources (statistical institutes and studies), determine data on economic activities and energy consumption.
- Collect data and develop characteristic key figures for waste heat producer in SME / industry / other.
- Apply and verify the methodology for a example city of Austria.
WP 2: Development of a generic methodology for assessing sewage heat potentials
- Elaborate a database of country-specific key figures for typical wastewater flows and temperatures in different sectors (residential areas, commercial and institutional facilities, various industries).
- Determine international available open data (e.g. OpenStreetMap data) to characterise city districts in terms of population, service sector and industry density.
- Test methodology at the example of a German city. Check plausibility of results with data from water supply and sewage plant records.
- Elaborate temperature profiles of wastewater flows taking into account outdoor temperature fluctuations and heat losses in the sewage System.
- Map the sewage heat potential on a city district level using GIS.
- Assess economic and technical feasible locations for integrating sewage heat into DH system.
- Prepare an online documentation of the methodology.
WP 3: Application and impact Analysis
- Assess impact on DH network (verify low/high temperature from companies and sewage pipes)
- Determine regulative boundary conditions/barriers to industrial/service sector waste heat and to sewage water heat recovery in Austria, Germany and United Kingdom.
- Analyse market maturity and supply chain in Germany, Austria and United Kingdom with outlook to other IEA DHC member states.
- Apply new methodology for industrial/service sector waste heat and new methodology for sewage water heat recovery in one German, one Austrian and one UK City.
- Develop business models for waste heat utilisation for example city in Germany, Austria and UK.
- Evaluate transferability of methodology to other IEA DHC member states.
WP 4: Dissemination and Project Management
- Overall project management and coordination
- Dissemination events
- Research papers